Hey students! It’s your favorite teacher, Adriena, from Food is My Classroom with today’s lesson in Social Circle, Georgia at Blue Willow Inn for Christmas in July. I have been eating at Blue Willow Inn (opened November 1991 after renovations) since I was young but never knew they celebrated this holiday. This award-winning inn is one of Social Circle’s biggest tourist attractions and well worth the drive down I-20.
⭐ Classroom: Blue Willow Inn Restaurant & Gift Shop
294 N Cherokee Rd, Social Circle, GA 30025
⭐ The Lesson Plan [Full Review of Experience]
⭐ Materials Needed:
- Reservations: Yes, they still take reservations.
- Empty Stomach: You need room to enjoy all this goodness.
- Cash or Major Credit Card
- Full Tank of Gas: Located in a small town, so there is no QT or Kroger Fuel Center nearby.
- GPS: Due to construction in the area, you need to know your way around as the Detour signs are not always clearly visible.
⭐ Observation: [The Best of the Day]
-Small Salad Bar
During (Entrees) for today’s holiday.
-There are a variety of choices.
-There are usually around 7 choices for dessert.
⭐ The Christmas in July Menu:
Meats: Baked Tilapia, Turkey, Ham, Fried Chicken, Fried Chicken Liver, and Roast Beef with gravy & vegetables.
Veggies: Salad bar, black-eyed peas, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, collard greens, sweet potato souffle, green beans, green bean casserole, fried green tomatoes (w/ chutney), corn on the cob, cornbread dressing (w/giblet gravy).
Desserts: Coconut cake, chocolate cake, peanut butter pie, lemon meringue pie, pecan pie, macadamia nut cookies, and peach cobbler.
Drinks: Coca-Cola products, sweetened tea, unsweetened tea, lemonade, Arnold Palmer, coffee, and water (not bottled).
Breads: Cornbread muffins and biscuits
Condiments: Cranberry sauce, ketchup (catsup), mustard, tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, hot sauce, and pepper sauce (vinegar-based).
⭐ The Culture: What is Christmas in July? In the Southern Hemisphere, Christmas (December) occurs in the summer, and many people decline to cook such large feasts due to the extreme heat. So, they plan many outdoor activities during this time instead of a “traditional” Christmas. Plus, no one wants to be engaged in outdoor activities on a full stomach. In July, when the weather is cool, many residents in such places as Australia, South Africa, Madagascar, and New Zealand will cook large meals, have a campfire, drink wine and egg nog just like we do in the Northern Hemisphere.
(Sources: Wikipedia and Responses on Quora)
⭐ Evaluation: [The Score]
Grade 📋 A+ (Principal’s List)
⭐ Teacher’s Notes✏
- This is an all-you-can-eat buffet.
- There is table service.
- Menu items change by the day and by the season.
- The upstairs dining rooms are open on jam-packed days.
- There is something for everyone here.
- The price is comparable to a Golden Corral but tastes way better.
- There is also a gift shop where you can get home decor, preserves, music, baby gifts, jewelry, postcards, and Christmas gifts. (Note: If you break it, you must pay for it. Not a shop for small kids or the clumsy.)
- There is also an outdoor restroom if you’re near the gift shop, so you don’t have to re-enter the restaurant.
- Allergy Alert: Food is cooked in a kitchen that contains nuts.
- There are many beautiful homes to see in the area and many small shops “in town,” which is walking distance from the restaurant.
⭐ Want to know more about the Blue Willow Inn Restaurant & Gift Shop?
Here is their story:
⭐ Feedback [Comment & Share]
#BlueWillowInn #foodismyclassroom #atlfoodie #atlblogger #FIMC #buffet #soulfood
📸 and 📽 Adriena Long